Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lower case "o"

So here is a little known fact about the Lincoln Memorial Pennies.  Above the Lincoln Memorial it says "THE UNITED STATES oF AMERICA" with a small "o" in "oF".  All other Lincoln Pennies have the country's name in all caps except for the last design for the 2009 pennies, which has "of" all in lower case and everything else capitalized.  Why did they do it? I don't know, but it wasn't a mistake, it was designed that way.  I guess you'll have to get inside the head of the guy who did it.  He did borrow the idea from the pre-Kennedy half dollar coins in circulation at the time, which also had a small "o" on them.  But who knows why they thought it was a good idea?

20 comments:

  1. I have one Ive had it for years is it worth anything though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have no clue, but i have one too. i was looking to see if it was worth anything too.

      Delete
    2. I think it is worth about $500

      Delete
    3. if it is ive probably just became rich XD

      Delete
  2. I've seen both capital o and f. And also lower case. Any reason for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2009,the professional, penny has a capital O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Immobilien Sögel Hey. Cool article. There's a problem with your site in chrome, and you may want to check this... The browser is the market leader and a huge component of other people will omit your wonderful writing because of this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of my pennies from 1999 and below have a lowercase o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 1964 penny with a lower case o is that worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a 2006 penny with a lower case o is it worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard they are hundreds of dollars. I have 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 1989 penny with a lowercase o what is it worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. The same as my 1977 , $.01

    ReplyDelete